Head of R&D
Oakland, CA | Direct
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university, with a concentration in engineering
(e.g., mechanical or plastics engineering)
- A business or technical Master’s degree (MS or MBA) preferred
- Minimum of 10-15 years of progressive related experience with 5 years of senior management experience.
- Experience in running a high volume injection molding operation required
- Background in medical or life science devices preferred but not required.
- Experience in running R&D operations a plus
- Excellent communication skills
- Outstanding project management skills
- Help set business unit strategy as a member of the senior leadership team; coordinate with SBU Marketing, Global Service, and US Sales Organization to ensure customer needs are appropriately served.
- Devise plans and initiatives, set policies, and guide the activities of the R&D staff to ensure achievement of strategic and tactical goals.
- Own responsibility for timely execution of all projects in the PLM frame work and within defined budget plans.
- Personally lead all special project initiatives to assure a timely launch of next generation products according to established timelines.
- Participate in Ideation phase for new technologies and product platform in collaboration with General Manager and Chief Technology Officer.
- Manage and develop a highly engaged workforce. Develop talents to secure a strong base of second level leadership within the organization.
- Assist with the management of certain strategic supplier relationships as needed.
- Direct and coordinate the research and development group, including engineering design and development of innovative pipetting products and disposables and the development of long-range goals and objectives.
- Work closely with senior management on cross-department and company impact activities including participation in task force/committee activities which determine the future direction of the business.
- Manage the company’s intellectual property, including assisting in the identification of patentable inventions in research and development projects and developed products.
- Manage all resources to meet control level budget and product delivery commitments as well as continuously improving quality and productivity throughout the R&D/Engineering group.